Helpful Hints for your Engagement Session
Remember, this information is intended to be helpful and should not be considered as requirements for your session. Regardless of what you wear or how you prepare, I’ll still capture really great photos of both of you during your engagement session! NO STRESS!
What to Wear
A variety of outfits are always welcome for a shoot because it gives the photos variety and longevity. A good rule of thumb is to choose two outfits for your shoot:
- An “every day” outfit that reflects a more casual approach to your personal style (such as jeans and a polo for guys, sundress or jeans for the ladies)
- A “going out” look that you might choose for a date night or party (something festive and fancy– a cocktail dress for the gals, button down shirt and blazer with jeans or slacks for guys
I recommend that you both wear similar attire. Your outfits should go together. You should think about complementary colors and styles. These wardrobe choices will keep distractions to a minimum. A good rule of thumb is to make sure that any garment worn on your upper torso doesn’t conflict with anything worn by your fiancé. Consider incorporating your wedding colors or theme, especially if you will be getting a guestbook or displaying prints at the wedding reception.
Show your Personality
Are you die-hard Patriot’s fans? Wear your jerseys! Do you enjoy cooking together? Tie on your aprons. These aren’t photos of just any random couple. You may wish to bring along a complementary props like a unique piece of jewelry or clothing or even crazy hats. Try to choose items that help identify you as a couple, but won’t detract from your appearance. Consider your engagement session a chance to have fun with your own personal style. They should capture your relationship at this moment in time, so show who you are as a couple!
Some things to keep in mind:
- Wear comfortable shoes (even if it’s just for walking between takes…) Bring shoes to compliment your outfit. They will likely be seen in many of your photos.
- Try to get a good night’s sleep before your photo session and avoid alcohol. You’d be amazed how easily bags under your eyes can detract from your photos!
- Keep your makeup and hairstyle simple.
- Remember to get your nails done! Especially for Engagement photo shoots, your ring will be a focus!
- Always choose sleek, fitted clothes over baggy.
- Bring props! If you play an instrument, have a hobby, have a favorite article of clothing or just a meaningful item, bring it with you. These personal items add an extra flair to your look.
- Schedule hair appointments at least a week in advance for a more natural look.
- Don’t forget to iron all wrinkles out
- Wear classic styles to prevent the photograph from looking outdated. A little black dress for women and a solid-colored suit for men will never go out of style.
- Make sure to bring all of your accessories like shoes, socks, belts, necklaces, and earrings. Jewelry should be kept at a minimum as these items can distract from your face in the finished photo.
- Avoid selecting wardrobe items that feature strong patterns, bright colors, busy prints, or logos. Apparel featuring those characteristics can sometimes draw attention away from your face, the most important area of your photos.